Vacancy: EWL Communications & Press Officer (deadline: 10 January 2013)
[Brussels, 06 December 2012] The EWL Secretariat in Brussels is seeking to recruit a Communications and Press Officer. This is a challenging and rewarding post for a multi-skilled and motivated individual. If you are up to the task, download the application form and apply before 10 January 2013!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS COMMUNICATIONS AND PRESS OFFICER AT THE EUROPEAN WOMEN’S LOBBY SECRETARIAT
Deadline for applications: 10 January 2013
The European Women’s Lobby (EWL) is the largest umbrella organisation of over 2000 women’s associations in the European Union, with members in all 27 EU Member States and three of the candidate countries. The EWL aims at promoting women’s rights and equality between women and men in the European Union. For the EWL Secretariat based in Brussels, the EWL is seeking a full-time Communications and Press Officer.
The Communications and Press Officer will actively contribute to the continuous development and implementation of a comprehensive EWL Internal and External Communications strategy.
The Communications and Press Officer will report directly to the EWL Secretary General and will work closely with, and rely on the inputs of all staff members, within the overall tasks and responsibilities of the EWL Secretariat to provide communications support to the network and the Secretariat. The post also entails carrying out and sharing a number of horizontal tasks, contributing to the teamwork in the EWL secretariat, and supporting the EWL Board and Membership through information, communication, and reporting activities.
The EWL offers a Belgian employment contract for the year 2013 (salary range 2800-3100 gross per month according to level of experience and expertise /probation period of three months) with the possibility for extension and secondary employment benefits (such as lunch vouchers, 13th month salary, hospitalisation insurance, 26 days holidays). The starting date will be as soon as possible.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and completed attached application form to email@example.com addressed to the Secretary General and with the subject line ‘Application - Communications and Press Officer’ by 10 January 2013. Please note that applications which do not include the completed application form will not be considered. Interviews for shortlisted applicants will be held in Brussels in the second half of January. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Candidates should hold a valid work permit in Belgium.
The EWL is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to equal opportunities including irrespective of gender, sexual orientation or identity, religion or belief, race or ethnicity, age or disability.
Job Description - Tasks and responsibilities
Provide effective information and communication services to support and contribute to the work of the EWL Secretariat and members organisations, through:
External Communication with EU Institutions, national institutions, media, civil society partners and other key stakeholders:
- Develop and maintain relations with the European and national institutions and international bodies;
- Develop and maintain relations with European and International civil society networks and organisations;
- Develop the media strategy including monitoring of media coverage of women’s rights issues;
- Liaise with media: Develop and maintain relationships with key European media, filter and answer queries, draft press releases, opinion pieces and letters to the Editor in coordination with EWL policy staff;
- Respond to external enquiries (other stakeholders, public and media), in close collaboration with EWL policy staff, and refer within the organisation and network as appropriate;
- Draft and place statements, articles, factsheets on subjects covering EWL’ s activities;
- Respond to requests for information, interviews and visits by external groups and individuals.
Internal Communication with the EWL Membership:
- Support the preparation and ensure appropriate distribution of EWL publications and information (with the input from the Secretary General and policy staff);
- In close collaboration with Secretariat staff, promote the exchange of information and joint action among members by establishing regular contact with EWL contact persons;
- Develop and maintain relationships with appropriate persons with Communications and Press responsibilities in the EWL membership;
- Develop and ensure integration of EWL and members’ communications systems (websites, social media, publications, etc.);
- Be actively involved in the planning, organisation and reporting in relation to EWL statutory meetings as appropriate;
- Assist members of the Executive Committee and the Board of administration as appropriate and assist in the implementation of their decisions;
- Establish and maintain systems within the EWL secretariat and network for collecting, storing and retrieving relevant information and data in both paper and electronic form (in close collaboration with the administration officers).
Preparation of EWL publications
- Draft as appropriate, edit, coordinate translation, lay-out, proofreading and printing of EWL publications, reports and other documents in English and French;
- Draft and prepare information and publicity materials for various target audiences (with the inputs of EWL staff and members);
- Draft and prepare communication material dedicated to fundraising in close collaboration with the Fundraising Officer;
- Draft and prepare regular Newsletters and other selected information tools such as regular mailings to the Board of Administration (with inputs of EWL staff);
- Design EWL outreach materials (invitations, campaign materials, etc.).
Management and Development of the EWL website and social media output
- Oversee and manage EWL website and social media sites;
- Maintain, produce, and process website content (with inputs of EWL staff and members);
- Ensure, promote and facilitate posting on the website of relevant and timely information and documentation from sources within and beyond the EWL Network (in close collaboration with Secretariat staff);
- Ensure, promote and facilitate posting on social media of relevant and timely information;
- Promote the use of the members’ section of the website among EWL member organisations and facilitate information exchange;
- Develop and renew EWL internet systems as appropriate.
Policy tasks: Women and the Media
- Take the lead role in the monitoring and implementation of EWL political priorities in the area of gender equality / women’s rights and media as defined in the Strategic Plan and Annual Work Programme;
- Research and draft EWL positions on women and the media;
- Engage in lobbying activities on the theme of women and the media;
- Oversee EWL activites/projects on women and the media;
- Represent the EWL in political settings and liaise with partners on the theme of women and the media.
- Represent the EWL in meetings, working groups, and represent the Secretary General in defined cases;
- Organise and lead working groups in thematic areas as appropriate;
- Take initiative and support funding proposals for the EWL as appropriate;
- Support all other members of staff in the execution of their tasks as appropriate and in agreement with the Secretary General;
- Participate in all staff and other meetings as requested by the Secretary General;
- Contribute to the development and drafting of strategic documents and work programmes as appropriate;
- Manage the budget of communications activities;
- Attend relevant meetings, seminars, conferences etc. and prepare presentation materials and reports/minutes as required;
- Coordinate outreach events with support of EWL staff.
Person Specification – Requirements:
- Excellent standard of fluency in English and French (spoken and written language);
- A good knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights issues;
- A good knowledge of European affairs;
- Relevant further education (e.g. relevant degree or technical qualification);
- Professional experience in communications (internal and external) and of using e-skills in an organisational setting (at least 3 years);
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills with demonstrated experience and high standard in drafting, editing and proofreading documents;
- Advanced computer skills including web publishing (SPIP), graphics and layout (Adobe Creative Suite), Windows, etc.
- Excellent networking skills to build strong relationships with member organisations staff and external stakeholders;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced professional environment;
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to manage a high level of responsibility;
- Experience of work in an NGO an asset.