Join AWID In Honoring And Celebrating The Lives And Work Of Feminists And/or Women Human Rights Defenders And Activists!!
Share with AWID Photos of Feminist and/or Women Activists who are No Longer with Us.
AWID is commemorating International Women’s Day, March 8, 2012 by paying tribute to feminists and women human rights defenders who have passed away or have been disappeared since our last AWID International Forum in 2008. As we work towards the 2012 AWID International Forum we are inviting you or your organization to share photos and short biographies of feminists activists and/or women human rights defenders who are no longer with us because they died due to natural causes, were killed or disappeared. We are looking for suggestions of women activists who throughout their lives worked endlessly for women’s rights at the local, national, regional or international level and who are no longer with us. The goals of this tribute are threefold: firstly, to honor these remarkable women; secondly, to raise awareness regarding the increased levels of violence and repression faced by many women’s rights activists around the world; and thirdly, to draw attention to the need to politicize and support self-care, wellness, increased protection and safety for women’s rights defenders.
A selection of these photos will be used in the creation of a photo-art exhibit and an audiovisual presentation at a special tribute during the 2012 AWID International Forum. The tribute will honor them and celebrate their lives and contributions to the women’s movement. In the months ahead we will also share the audiovisual presentation on our website in commemoration of the work and lives of our sisters.
If you or your organization would like us to share the profile of a feminist activist and/or women human rights defender who perished or was disappeared in the past four years please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: AWID Tribute by March 16, 2012. The email should include the following:
1. A picture of the women activist and human rights defender with the following specifications:
- All pictures must be 4 inches X 6 inches or 10.16 centimeters X 15.24 centimeters
- Pictures should have a resolution of 1200x1800 pixels (minimum)
- Or if the picture is scanned it should be 300 dpi (dots per inch) or above
- If the picture was taken with a digital camera it should have a resolution of 6 MP (megapixels) or above
- Please note that the size of the attachment you send us should not be more than 5 MB (megabytes).
- By sending this photo you are licensing AWID to use the photograph in this tribute
Also, please note that pictures downloaded from websites may not be of good quality for printing or audiovisual uses and may infringe copyrights. So, we encourage you to take pictures from your cameras, albums, personal collections or with prior permissions from partner organizations.
2. Along with your picture please send us a short bio of the women activist you want profiled that follows these specifications:
- 50 words in length (maximum);
- includes the name of the WHRD or feminist activist;
- country of origin;
- a short description of the work she carried out;
- and an explanation of the circumstances of their death
Thank you for sharing the stories and lives of the courageous women human rights defenders and activists women in your country or region! If you have any questions please e-mail AWID at a email@example.com